20 October 2009

Collaboration? More like CollaborAWESOME

Okay, okay, okay. Call me a suck-up. But I have to say that I'm really lucky to have the group members I have. (That's Lu, Meg, and Tammy.) I'll be honest: When we first started on this group project, I had major misgivings. Despite my assertion that English studies should look at collaborative projects with the same eye as single-authored ones, despite the fact that most of my mentors co-author research projects, books, and articles, despite my service as project manager on one large-scale study, I still entered the DA group project with dread. It was very Clint Eastwood: I work alone.

But I've learned so much by just talking about ideas and by working together to form coherent, cohesive theses. We've met in person three times, and we add to our g-doc almost daily. We're able to share ideas and bounce prospects off one another. It's such a different experience from the single-authored studies I've done, and it's different in ways that are beneficial. I've learned that texts can be read in so many different ways and that I don't have all the answers. (Duh. I know. But remember that I'm from a field that glorifies the isolated, suffering author and that I've been taught to latch onto my ideas with a commitment and righteous fury unlike any other. At least in the old-school led classes I've had.) To be a part of a group where each member is thoughtful, intelligent, and diligent is an eye-opener.

I'll definitely seek out opportunities to collaborate in the future. (So, Tammy, if you ever need a co-author for your graffiti project, drop me a line! That would be fun!)

2 comments:

trena paulus said...

I'm truly glad you're having a positive experience with this.

Tammy said...

I don't know how I missed this post. I am so thankful for our group and I would not be learning as much as I have if I had to do it alone. I need to talk to others about what I am learning. It doesn't seem like there is that opportunity as much as I thought there would be. So I am thankful for this project, because it provides the time and place and friends to share ideas and to deepen my understanding. Having worked in an elementary school for the past 17 years, I am missing the collegiality. Just knowing there are others to bounce ideas off of and clarify my thinking is so beneficial. Also, the encouragement and support from the group is amazing. I'd love to co-author a study (someday). My masters action research was a group project. It was definitely trying at times (just finding the time to meet) but I learned so much. I really like the google doc as a way for all of us to input our ideas and read what others are thinking without meeting everyday.