09 June 2010

Outta Sight

But not in a good way.

I haven't blogged since November. Two things have happened: 1) my initial idea failed, which was sad but good practice, and I'd like to revisit it later on a less aggressive timeline; and 2) I had to rewind, rebreathe, repropose.

Back. On. Track. But with a shorter timeline.

I thought keeping a reflective journal would help with my dissertation process, but there are all kinds of limitations on confidentiality, personal privacy, and analytic process. Because of all that, I'm changing the focus of this blog a little. I'll still write about my diss process, if only to absolve myself of guilt on those days where I'm less productive and also to (**fingers crossed**) keep myself on track. But I'll also sway into territories as yet untouched. You know, non-diss life. Some things that are going on now, for all of the two people in the world who read this thing:
1. I am in the intital stages of writing my dissertation. It's qualitative, so it takes a long time, since I not only had to generate the primary data, but then I had to (have to) code it and then work into interpretation. Now it's a series of biographical case studies. Goodbye, narrative. Maybe we'll meet again soon.
2. I'm running and biking a lot. I'm competing more, not to win, but because it scares me. I'm on a quest to ID fear and overcome it. Which leads me to
3. I'm on the job market in January. I'm excited. I should buy a black suit, I guess.

10 comments:

LanternBright said...

You're all my Christmas, Gracie!!!!

Casie Fedukovich said...

CURTY FISH!

pidoubleg said...

Where are you getting a suit? I'm frightened of this part. LOL.

Casie Fedukovich said...

Oh Lord, me too. I'm cheap/broke, so maybe JC Penney's? They're very blah, though. I really like the dressy stuff at White House/Black Market, but it's way pricey. I have been told to have a very blah suit and a piece of interesting jewelry. My tattoo doesn't count. (Neither does yours, I guess.) I'm checking on Overstock.com pretty often.

I like to spend my dollars on hiking pants, not suit jackets.

Casie Fedukovich said...

Know what would be fun? A job market suit shopping trip with the ladies. A giant group of us going on the market should go shopping together. Very SATC, you know.

pidoubleg said...

Oooh I've been checking Overstock too. Haha. I am leaning toward Jcrew for the suit. . .they are expensive for grad student budget, but a little known fact is that you can get a 20% (or %15? I forget) discount just for mentioning you are a student. And they recently have gotten personal shoppers who aren't annoying (at least the one in my area is nice) who will help you pick things. I've had good luck with getting her help because the clothes I lean toward on impulse (bright! textured!) usually need to be contextualized with other things that make them appear professional lol.

Group shopping would be so fun if we could figure a way. . .

Casie Fedukovich said...

I like bright! Maybe I'll check JCrew. (But we should converse to make sure we're not in the same suit, right?)

Great tip on the 20%ish. I'll pull that card next time!

Debra said...

For business attire, regularly check landsend.com overstocks.

I, too, am on a quest to face and fight my fears. Someday I will need to be reunited with a ferris wheel (gulp).

Casie Fedukovich said...

Ew, ferris wheels. Good luck with that. I hate those things.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I just wrote a comment but it seems I've lost it. I had said that I just found your blog and am excited to read your good writing!

For suits - Ann Taylor. Wait for a labor day sale. It's better to buy a reasonably high quality suit rather than an inexpensive one. You'll get more years out of it. You could always try the outlets in Sevierville, too. Banana Republic, J Crew and Brooks Brothers. BB is going to be the most expensive, but on the right day at the BB outlet, you can find some amazing prices. My friend is a lawyer and found two suits (TWO) at BB for less than 250 total.